Backend Developer: WordPress
You will work on some of the UK’s leading magazine websites. Running on WordPress, these
sites are high traffic and require more than simple plugin and theme development. Working
alongside talented DevOps and Front-End teams, you will be responsible for optimising the
existing codebase as well as building exciting new features. There will be a slight crossover
between other projects, so experience with front-end technologies is a plus.
- Writing clean, object-oriented PHP code on a daily basis. Ranging from complex
- in-house WordPress plugins and themes to simple bug fixes.
- Optimising the existing platform and adding new features.
- Clearly communicating with the dev team and stakeholders during daily stand-ups and fortnightly sprint planning meetings.
- Finding solutions to complex problems both autonomously and as part of a team.
- Performant, object-oriented PHP code that adheres to the D.R.Y principle.
- Willingness and ability to learn how to apply those PHP skills to a WordPress environment by using online documentation and other resources.
- Great communication skills; being able to talk infrastructure to the Ops team one minute and explaining how to use a new feature to business users the next.
- An understanding of modern development practices using tools such as Docker, Git, Jenkins and Composer.
- Experience using WordPress, the WordPress API, Gutenberg and WP CLI.
- Use of Docker in local and production environments.
- Understanding of local and remote caching mechanisms (e.g. Memcache and the Fastly CDN).
- Solid experience using Unix systems, happy to navigate and execute commands in CLI.
- Experience using testing tools such as PHPUnit.
- Experience with the Twig templating engine.
- Experience with Sass and Less preprocessors.
- Understanding of SEO.
- Documented history of open source development, GitHub profile or similar.