Deputy Picture Editor - 6 Month Maternity Cover
Country Life magazine, PPA magazine brand of the year 2019 is the instantly recognisable and quintessentially British magazine brand. Each week it celebrates the finest houses, the most beautiful gardens and the ever-changing art world.
Country Life is seeking a Deputy Photographic Editor for a six-month maternity cover to join the busy picture desk based in Farnborough, Hampshire. This is an exciting opportunity to work with the creative team of Country Life, the quintessentially British magazine. The key purpose of this role is to research and commission photography for Country Life. The successful candidate will work at the heart of a fast-paced, creative and deadline-driven environment, reporting directly to the Studio Director.
The candidate would be expected to be experienced with a range of picture research criteria, commissioning and editing. This role also requires an excellent level of organisation, the ability to managing fees and a thorough knowledge of picture rights and copyright law. You will be required to be computer literate as training for our in-house commissioning system will be given.
- Working closely alongside the Picture Editor, actively sourcing the best imagery for all sections of the magazine
- Negotiating rates, obtaining approvals, raising commissions and purchase orders via the TI-Media in house commission system
- Collating information for captions & credits
- Contributing to a variety of photographic creative solutions to illustrate the editorial of Country Life
- Ensuring all contributors sign up to the appropriate rights management agreements
- Managing picture deadlines and ensuring the art team have the images they need on time
- Contributing to the management of images on TI-Media’s digital platform and uploading on to the CMS
- Proficient in Photoshop and InDesign
- Experience of picture research and shoot production
- A thorough knowledge of picture libraries
- Enthusiasm for art, design and photography
- Organised and thorough with ability to keep records of a variety of on-going tasks
- Highly motivated
- A creative mind
- Ability to commission illustrations
- 2 + years picture desk experience
- Training will be given for our in house systems
- Competitive salary reflecting experience
- Experience of working on an awards winning magazine